Sunday, July 10, 2011

Nature Calls- Big Yellow Taxi

Okay, I'm starting a new segment called Nature Calls that is based on songs that have been inspired by nature.  Since nature is the source of everything... it encompasses all emotions and the beginning of so many great ideas. The beauty and forgiveness of nature has written some beautiful ballads. The fury and the magnitude of nature has caused many a sorrowful song too.  However, more recent music seems to be motivated by the act of humans on nature.  Hence, the first selection. 


Big Yellow Taxi was released in 1970 and was written and performed by Joni Mitchell. I listened to a lot of this Canadian treasure when I was in high school.  Maybe that's what spawned my passion to become an Eco Warrior.  This is an excerpt from an interview with Mitchell in a 1996 with the Los Angeles Times speaking about Big Yellow Taxi : "I wrote 'Big Yellow Taxi' on my first trip to Hawai'i. I took a taxi to the hotel and when I woke up the next morning, I threw back the curtains and saw these beautiful green mountains in the distance. Then, I looked down and there was a parking lot as far as the eye could see, and it broke my heart... this blight on paradise. That's when I sat down and wrote the song."



No comments:

Post a Comment